PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2012, 22:24
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I inflicted my flying on a tug pilot today, being well out of position for a while.

It is a training/checking exercise we do, often called boxing the wake. Starting at a safe height (1000’ plus) while on tow, from a normal tow position while climbing – slightly below the tug but above its wake or slipstream - we eased down through the wake to well below normal tow position. I understand that this puts the tow plane well out of trim.

Then move laterally, well out to one side. Now tuggie has to use a lot of rudder as well as elevator.

Now move up to level with or higher than tug. Then across to the other side. Then down to low tow position, but still out to that side. Then back to dead behind, but still in low tow. Finally up through the slipstream again to normal tow position.

A good exercise in control for a glider pilot regaining currency after an 8 month lay-off. I don’t know if tug pilots enjoy this or endure it. Usually the instructor tells them beforehand that some out-of-position work will be done, but today it was a spur of the moment thing, and we had no radio in the glider so he only found out when it happened.

All in a tug pilot’s day’s work.

Chris N.