PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Takeoff and Climb thrust w/ flex/derate
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2012, 10:39
LeCoyote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for your feedback.

TSIO540, what you're saying does indeed confirm the logical hypothesis that we had, ie. that the CL detent commands a "FLEX" climb thrust. One question though, if you have that info: what about thrust washout? When does it happen, approximately?

Intruder, indeed, the Boeing method has that difference from the Buses. I'll figure some way of integrating this in out ATC simulator logic. This is what my little inquiry is all about by the way.

Denti, I hadn't thought about the fuel savings of an unrestricted climb, although in hindsight it seems logical indeed. One more question: if you select a 18k derate on a -700, am I right to assume that your climb thrust (eg. CLB2 + perhaps assumed temp) will wash out to whatever is the MCT (max cont) for the 18k derate? Also, in the event of an unrestricted climb, would that mean selectint CLB instead of CLB1 or 2, and therefore using the 18k MCT at thrust "reduction" (heh) altitude?
I know it may sound obvious to all of you, I just need to confirm that I'm getting this right, that the flat derate method implies what I am currently only assuming.

Bonus question: my findings suggest so far that MCT is some figure arout 93% to 95% of max T/O thrust. Does that sound about right? Of course, I now assume that every Boeing derate setting (ie full, 20k, 18k on a -700) has its own MCT, whereas single-aisle Airbuses typically only use the "full" MCT when FLEX thrust washes out.

Also, I've just found out that on the B777, there are two types of washout tapers: a slow one that will last until about FL300, and a fast one that does is quickly by 12,000'. It is apparently not something the pilot can interfere with from the cockpit, but it can be changed. Another interesting bit of info :-)

As always, thanks for your valuable input! I'll go "push some tin" now ;-) Enjoy our weekend!
Cheers,
--
Romain