PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2012, 08:01
MIKECR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot depends of course who you have on tow. An experienced glider pilot will probably have a good idea where they want to be towed and will be more inclined to say so by radio. A lesser experienced glider pilot will generally be more reliant on the tuggie to take them to lift. I also find the lesser experienced or the newly qualified glider pilots will have a certain reluctance to use the radio until they get their confidence with it. It also depends on the type of lift - if its just a 1000' lob onto the ridge or a 2000' launch to the nearest building thermal or cloud street then theres really no need to be steering a course to the tug pilot. Wave can be a little different as the actual lift isnt always clearly marked. Quite often it will involve a long or high tow(sometimes 4000' to 5000') to contact it. In those circumstances there's more chance of communication between the glider and the tug. If the wave is working well however in a particular spot and has been for some time then obviously no need to steer the tuggie a course, just hang on til they drop you where they dropped everyone else!

A good tuggie is of course someone with gliding experience. Hence most clubs tend to prefer someone with at least a bronze or silver C badge. Some insurers will also specify a minimum gliding experience level for tuggies.

Tugging can also be hard work at times. On a good soaring day, launching can be pretty relentless. I usually stuff my sandwich and water bottle down the side of the seat first thing as there'll be no time by lunchtime to stop for a break, things will just be getting into full swing by then. Good fun though...many a happy day flying the tug. Dont do as much as I used to but enough to keep the hand in. I did parachute flying at one time too....not nearly as satisfying as tugging.....note sure why, perhaps its just that gliding is my first love in flying.