PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 21:32
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
cosmiccomet

Humm the infamous HMS Avenger attack, I've been waiting for this one to come up. I will call it that as it happened nowhere near HMS Invincible. For details of the Exocet/A4 Skyhawk raid on 30th May 1982 ask the crew of HMS Avenger as she was the ship that the Exocet was fired at and the two Skyhawks that didn't get killed by Exeter's Sea Darts actually tried to bomb. Top shooting by Exeter in this case, Navaleye on another thread thought that the Sea Dart kill by Exeter on the Learjet was the most impressive SAM shot of the conflict, For me, taking two very low altitude A-4s down with a pair of SARH SAM is much more impressive.

In fact what actually happened was described by Hugo White, the Captain of Avenger (along with a simulated radar emulation) on the BBC Horizon program 'In the Wake of HMS Sheffield' which described the lessons learn from the conflict by the Royal Navy made in 1986. Starts at 19:00 into the Clip (at the time British proaganda claimed the Avenger nailed the Exocet with her 4.5 inch Gun, while Exeter claimed both Skyhawks, which I'm sure is what happened in the later case (Up there with 18 Rapier kills on Avenger's gun kill on both the Exocet and A4 though ).

Last edited by MAINJAFAD; 24th Mar 2012 at 00:02.