PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Manoeuvre Margins And Manoeuvering Speeds
Old 8th Dec 2002, 19:11
Eckhard

Hi Qavion,

I think that the Stall Warning Computer calculates the 1g stick shaker speed for the current weight / config and then derives a 1.3g stick shaker speed which is displayed as the top of the lower hockey stick. So it is correct to say that the top of the hockey stick sits x knots above the red chequers but only during 1g flight.

The anomaly you describe sounds like a problem with the flap position being incorrectly sensed. In our 'Flaps Drive' checklist (QRH 09-3) it says during the landing preparation:

'If the amber minimum manoeuvring speed band is above the flaps manoeuvring speed:

AUTOTHROTTLE...................................DISCONNECT

Use the displayed flaps manoeuvring speeds.

AIRSPEED LOW message is displayed.'

This seems to imply that with a flap problem the SWC may incorrectly calculate the hockey stick.

I should stress that I am not an engineer and have no documentary evidence to back up what I am saying. I am basing my opinions on what I have observed in flight and also during numerous Sim sessions. Unfortunately I won't be back in the 'box' until March at the earliest so I won't have an opportunity to play and check this out until then. (It's a bit difficult with passengers on board the aircraft!)

Merry Christmas!