PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Tax
Thread: More Tax
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 19:05
ExXB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunnyjohn
I take your point. The train journey from Valencia to Madrid, city centre to city centre, is ninety minutes. The journey by aircraft, airport to airport, takes 55 minutes, plus 20 minutes at both end from airport to city centre, which, of course, uses more energy. Ninety five minutes. I would also argue that airport infrastructures easily match those of rail. The quoted air fare is 95 Euros - rail 90 Euros but for that price you can take three items of luggage. You pays your money . . . !
Pardon me but this is another commonly used, but erroneous, argument of why rail is greener than air. City centre to city centre without the trip to the airport. But how many people are actually going centre to centre? I'd guess that in most cases either at the origin or at the destination but not so often both. For a passenger travelling from near the airport and destined near the airport on rail would be 130mins by rail vs 55 by air. (Or if we split the difference 110mins vs 75) Yes, for some journeys your comment is valid, but not for all.