PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U/S Instruments - should an aircraft be flown with them?
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 17:24
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for all your replies (and I finally worked out what MEL stood for ) Tch, these student eh?!

Our use of the DI. I take the point that the ac still flies if the DI is slightly out or broken (!) but I think that my instructor is making me aware of the slight variation to make me check the compass and therefore realign the DI to a) make me fly accurately and b) help me learn my headings I couldn't imagine flying without it!

D.O many thanks for your comment ref rotation of the earth, I understand now, so am I correct in thinking this is to do with magnetic variation, isogonals etc? As you can see, I have not started tech yet!

Peter - Simple aircraft? What constitutes a "simple" aircraft? Is it our Grob 115s? Does our Firefly constitute a more complex aircraft? We certainly have most instruments which are mentioned here also with the DME, VOR, RPM, VSI but no manifold pressure. We also have radios, Transponder, clock and timer, the usual Ts and ps and something which I have only just been introduced to - the very handy Carb ice indicator!

With only three aircraft in the club, yes we do need to maintain them!!!

I ahve never seen an MEL for the Grob (or Firefly) I assume from the other posts here that not all aircraft have them.

One post mentioned an ops manual of the training organisation with relevant info. Many thanks for this steer, we have the Flying Order Book which may ahev something in and I can also pump our QFI for information tomorrow when I go flying with him

GQ