PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2002, 17:56
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck,

Have now had time to read your posts properly, and I take back my last post. I think I had exactly the same misunderstanding as Flyin' Dutch, in that I thought you were suggesting that we should continue to look at the aiming point after the point where we have reduced the vertical speed to zero.

What I had trouble with after passing my skills test was the moment where your vision switches from the aiming point, to that point a few hundred feet ahead of you. I find (and maybe this changes as you gain far more experience than I have?) that the shift in vision needs to be very conscious and deliberate - at a time when you're naturally very busy anyway, it's easy to overlook this.

Anyway, thanks for a great post (if anyone is thinking of skipping over it because it's too long, don't - go and read it!) I always knew that you need to shift your vision forwards, but never really understood the science of it, or the exact amount. Between you and Flyin' Dutch, I've learnt yet another useful thing from PPRuNe!

FFF
------------