PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A breath of fresh air at last. One pilots view of CRM
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 14:13
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A breath of fresh air at last. One pilots view of CRM

"Why CRM Changes Nothing".

Flight International published the following letter in the 28 February-5 March issue.

"I am probably going to get murdered for this - but I must do it. Crew resource management (CRM) is a fraud.

I was an airline captain for 28 years, and only during the last five was I forced to spend - once a year - the most useless eight hours of my life. Did CRM change me? No. And did I learn anything? No. And all of my colleagues agree with me. CRM wastes money as well as the time of crews who should be flying instead of listening to some guy saying nothing of interest.

Does anyone really believe that a pilot who is rude, stubborn or prone to cause conflicts in a cockpit is going to modify his attitude because of CRM? And, if he is a captain, is he going to listen more to his first officer - and vice versa? Is the pilot who tends to cower going to become more assertive? No way.

Perhaps CRM will have some effect on five-year olds - but not on normal adults."

Ronald Neves.
............................................................ .............................................

I could not agree more. For this Ppruner, reading that letter was like a breath of fresh air. At last someone has the bottle to put in print, what so many pilots deep down, think is true - but risk getting howled down by the aficionados of CRM. Full marks to the writer and to the editor of Flight International for publishing it