PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 13:53
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
About 5 years ago I had an hour in the 737 sim up in Yorkshire and as far as I recall managed reasonably OK. I certainly landed it on the runway (no doubt in zero wind conditions) without breaking anything although maintaining the correct speed and glide slope (albeit with a constant commentary as to what I should be doing, had me in a serious sweat.

The one thing that struck me was that it was fairly sluggish in roll but very sensitive in pitch, which prompted me to ask of the guy operating it if that was characteristic of the real 737. He told me he had only ever been a 125 pilot and so had no idea.

I don't know whether the thing had been made easier to handle to please the punters and give us a warm feeling (breathing on finger nails and rubbing them on lapels).

I guess I still don't know if I could land the real thing and assume I just flew a big benign version of MSFS (something I haven't touched in donkeys years).

I know that despite 40 years of various flying machines and 10 years as a PPL I'd find it pretty darned difficult to find the right height to flare a 747 or 380 and be anywhere near the right point on the runway.

Is there another accessible airliner simulator out there that somebody will let me play with for a fee ?