PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA threat to operation of N Reg Aircraft
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 13:49
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some stuff is here.

Nobody I know of knows any more than is kicking around these various docs.

Even fewer people know how it may be implemented. How is the standard airport policeman going to establish the EU or non-EU residence of the operator?

In essence, I think, AOC ops are exempted. Not because the incredibly vague Basic Regulation says so (IIRC) but because you are getting a de facto permission to operate the specified aircraft with the specified crew having the specified papers, etc. Also most (thought I bet not all) airlines whose pilots do not have EASA papers do happen to be non EU based.

The worst gotcha with all this is not private pilots (of which I am one and I well and truly hated wasting so much time having to collect the JAA papers recently, just in case) but paid private jet pilots flying N- and other FAA-based aircraft (Cayman, Bermuda, Aruba, IOM, etc) on an FAA CPL/IR which has been validated by the State of Registry for the particular airframe. I had to do "only" 7 exams of almost total bollox and 15hrs+ of conversion time, plus the CAA flight test, but these CPL/IRs will need to do all 14 ATPL exams (which are equally mostly bollox) and the CPL and IR conversion routes, and the two flight tests. Plus EASA Class 1 medicals.

Or so it appears. Obviously nobody in EASA is going to advertise any plans to offer later concessions. But something may emerge later, perhaps in 2014.

Personally, as an insurance policy and especially if you make a living flying a bizjet, I would not leave this too late. My writeup above may be excessively long but you will get the idea that bagging the present exams is probably a smart move because of the straightforward question-bank-banging option, and you then have 36 months to sort out the flying, using whatever options come up, UK, Spain, Greece, whatever...