PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 13:34
Marcantilan

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they may have been mistaken or misled, Marcantilan; not RAF Phantoms anyway. We weren't in Chile. The picture you posted was 29, surprisingly (in the South Atlantic) back to our normal duty of chasing the Soviets.
I agree, probably a mistake, an USAF Phantom or something else, but it was a rumour that I heard many times.

Besides that, I´ve read in your very enjoyable journal that you were deployed on ASI. Some russians in an AGI down there had a history about Phantoms buzzing their ship. Is that true?

Jamieone,
I cannot comment on the post raid plan. One day I can tell the kids, but not yet.
Very interesting to hear that.

I think the original plan had very poor intelligence.

The presence of the AN/TPS-43 radar was noted, but I think RAF/RN had no idea about three more radars in the area (two SPS-20s, one in Bouchard and the other in Piedrabuena destroyers, just a couple of miles from the airport - and an ELTA radar very near the runway)

Plum Duff helo claimed that was never detected until aborting and moving to Chile, but I shared more than a coffe with Rio Grande sector commander (a Marine) and he told me that night duty officer called him informing a helo inbound from the sea, then helo landing and finally helo departing. Info coming from the AAF radar, ELTA and Bouchard, along with someone with a sharp ear! So, if the helo was detected AND people were very jumpy about that first detection, I could assume that chances of being discrete were very slim: SAS could face an alerted reinforced Marine Battalion?

In the other hand, Super Etendards were dispersed and not in line in the airfield, pilots were sleeping in a hotel in town (far from the airport) and Exocets...were not there.

I am pretty sure that RAF plus SAS could mount a succesfull attack, but not without proper intelligence (and it looks like this is the case).

British Ground Based Radar rumoured to be in Chile was a Marconi S259 (one was also sent down south to support 63 Sqn RAF Regiment which was set up at Ajax Bay as well according to a guy I worked with in 1985).
Thanks a lot for the info!!!! Do you know if the radar on Ajax Bay was set during the war, of after that?

Regards to all,