PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EE Canberra book contributor request
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 13:31
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Options 770 reminds me of two experiences. I was a(the on ly") first tourist on 360 when it formed, having been given a slightly truncated "Strike" course at Bassingbourn. About a year in with the T17s up and running we briefed for aan ECM sortie for 4 aircraft. End of the brief, "Any Questions" - Put my hand up and admitted that I had never flown the Canberra in formation. No problem came the reply - you fly in the slot. Interesting day.

Second one was a 6 ship airborne in the SWAPPS when we hera Shacks being diverted to Gibraltar or somweher, as the whole country was going out in fog. The exercise was cancelled and we were all recalled to St Mawgan, but I ended up at the top of the stack - only problem was that I was the only "whitecard" in the formation. By the time I started down the slope there was a cloudbase of 150'. By this time there were no diversions so it was "sh1t or bust". As a crew we agreed 100' on the radalt as the minimum; if we did not get in it would be 3 Martin Baker let-downs. Flew the best precision approach of my life, got the lights at 105', and shut down on the runway. I can still remember it like yesterday.

Only recently did I see the Det Cdr's name as one of the now deceased nuclear test veterans whose case for compensation was lost.