PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVR
Thread: PVR
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 12:58
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I concur. I was offered (and accepted) a years' Fellowship vice ACSC and advised by the Desk Officer that it had the same weighting. Unfortunately it didn't, and even though I had an email to that effect, the system still regarded me as a 'Mainstream' officer, 'cos I hadn't gone to Swindon Polytech. Mind you, I also got a proper Masters' from a prestigeous university.
Not having done ACSC, I might be barking up the wrong tree, but from the briefing we had during ICSC, it appeared that ACSC is little more than accreditation of prior learning. Effectively, what you are learning as a senior military staff officer is translated into an academic equivalent, and then with a few extra KCL modules added on, you get your MA. Hence the reason why ACSC attendance does not mean you will automatically come out the other end with an MA.

From that perspective, I would have thought that a degree in something relevant from a prestigious university (I think KCL is somewhere in the 50s in the world university rankings, I guess that counts as prestigious) would be more relevant than military theory in the outside world. Then again, I would say that as I already have a postgrad MSc without going to Swindon Poly