PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police officers 'Commandeering' civ helos - opinion?
Old 8th Dec 2002, 16:54
STANDTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas, I have read your profile and it appears we are essentially in the same industry!

It appears to me that Skywatch is trying to do something worthwhile in a reasonably structured format. To fail to embrace that is ignoring a protentially useful asset.

Look at the LAPD and GMP websites and compare their air cover. GMP actually has a bigger area to cover with one machine than LAPD does with dozens more.

In the UK, air support is never likely to reach the situation where a chopper is just looked at as another police vehicle. If, within CAA guidelines, we can work towards a properly coordinated, voluntary body of pilots with access to expensive aircraft then I think we should look closely at it.

I have to say, Thomas, that fifteen years ago, most chief constables would have looked upon the idea of air support units with the same amount of derision as you appear to view Skywatch. This isn't a personal attack so don't take it the wrong way.

Look at it another way: You know how wealthy you have to be even to own an R22! Its nice to see these well to do people wanting to put something back into society.

However, if Skywatch is going to go anywhere, then I think a memorandum of understanding needs drawing up with each of the UK police forces. The questions of insurance, whether or not an a/c is working under police coordination or not when they are on task.

lets not be too blinkered about this