PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2002, 16:34
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck,

I will read your posts in detail when I've got more time to spare, because you usually write quality stuff. But I'm very confused by your suggestion that we should not be looking well ahead of the aircraft when flaring. Every pilot, at whatever level, that I've spoken to, and every book I've read, has suggested that you should shift your vision forwards as you flare. After gaining my PPL, I had a period where I simply could not land consistently, and I fixed the problem when I realised that I'd been "forgetting" to shift my vision, as I was taught.

In fact, in Stick And Rudder, which I think is still universally recognised as the "bible" of how to fly, Wolfgang Langewiesche says (on page 296 in my copy):

In landing, the pilot's vision is not directed downards and is not even attempting to perceive depth yet remaining between him and the ground. It is directed well forward at a region of hundreds of feet ahead of the airplane
(my emphasis, not his). So your vision, according to Langewiesche, is most definitely not directed at "the area of the runway where you plan to flare," as you suggest.

As I said, I haven't read your posts in detail yet, I apologise if I've misunderstood or if you've already clarified this one.

FFF
-----------