PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2002, 16:10
GlueBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDR Limitations

Interesting observations and comments about FDR interpretations and video graphics. Nevertheless, I believe that it's imperative not to get overly affixiated about the tiniest recorded parameter of control surface position indication. I'm almost sure that the recorder does not record control surface position every nanosecond.

I'm not a Bus driver, but does the A300 FDR get its rudder data from the surface position indicator? What tolerances does the mechanical or digital surface position instrument have?
Is it conceivable that "limits" could have been exceeded within a fraction of a second that was "skipped" by the FDR?

It's as if one were taking a magnifying glass to check the graphically reproduced surface position indices...to see if ever either exceeded limits. Somewhat like debating at what point would 12 degrees Centigrade become 13 degress Centigrade.

Speaking in somewhat general terms, let me briefly recall the FDR interpretations of the COPA 737 crash in 1992, a loss of control accident in IMC.

The FDR readout had recorded one unusual attitude where bank angle went from something like 60 degrees port to 90 degrees starboard in less than one second. But the airplane could not physically make such a maneuver even in one whole second. The crux of the matter was that the FDR had recorded travel of the ADI which had tumbled.
Just one example of FDR limitations, just to make a point.