PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police officers 'Commandeering' civ helos - opinion?
Old 8th Dec 2002, 15:54
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me get this right:

A child is missing, has been for some hours now. In the mainland Uk, which is served by 52 police forces, 43 of which now have air cover; who actually calls who out?

When that somebody gets to the last known location, having been given all the relevant details by whoever, they commence a search (because the police unit isn't/cant get airborne!).
What height do they fly at, what type of search do they fly (dependent on the type of misper - decides on the type of search (alzheimers do certain things, children do other types).

How do they identify their 'target'? How do they report their findings?

I've heard briefly about this idea, some months ago...thought it was a joke! Somebody as having me on!

Never heard any other unit mention it because their area is always covered by their helo/plankwing. When exactly would this 'reserve' force be called upon???
Who pays for it?
Do they fly around for a couple of hours free of charge.
Are they on standby, or does the facility that calls them out just keep ringing down through the list until someone answers the phone and happens to be free (with their buddy the observer)?

C'mon pull the other one Bryn........smell the coffee