PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 16:27
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similarities with Thiells 727 crash (HF issue)

Hi,

Some days ago Clandestino mentioned similarities (buffet misleading) between both cases.

Yes, there are many similarities:

1) UAS was the "trigger factor"
2) Both planes stalled
3) Crew perception failed
4) Recovery was not possible
5) Crew errors were present
6) HF factors "played important role"

The Pitot heater was the cause leading to UAS (Alt and Climb, indications) degrading the man-machine interface and misleading the crew.

Subsequently the buffet "confirmed" (a wrong perception) of "overmach".

In F-GZCP a sophisticated "interface" seems not helped the crew in their perception (perception relates to survivability). Despite (or because it?). PF put (diligently ) the plane into an stall (through persistent NU).

In CVR there is a mention to "crazy speeds". This shows they were receiving conflicting indications. From interface? From cockpit "environment", certainly: Noise (probably a different noise) and buffet (post stall).

The similarity probably is not with the meaning of "buffet misleading" interpreted as overmach buffet. In 447 the buffet, i suppose was clear after the stall (high AOA descent). In 727 the buffet (low speed stall buffet) "led to the full stall". In 447 the "misleading" Clandestino suggest, as a possible reason for "nose up" after plane was stalled. But i ask: During many minutes? From apogee to FL100 or lower?

As i understand your rationale was: Overmach buffet requires climb the plane. As an explanation for not lowering the nose. (misleaded by an overmach stall "thinking")

Is it possible? This could partially explain what crew "maintained" after apogee?

IMO there was misleading, by at least, lack of reliable information (scan failure, HF, etc.). Aggravated by Noise and high AOA buffet. In a turbulent environment (outside) and in a "stressing" cockpit (man machine interface aural and visual outputs)

A recipe for serious HF issues.

But, i agree, in both cases there are several similarities.

PS

I didn't find my post when i commented the Thiells case.

Last edited by RR_NDB; 22nd Mar 2012 at 17:05. Reason: Text impvmt