PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 14:26
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmiccomet
But most surprising was the Thyssen A209 ARA San Luis submarine war against the Bristish fleet.

The British fleet primary role was antisubmarine for NATO against the URSS submarine fleet in the Atlantic.
And it couldn't stop a single diessel power submarine to made three torpedo launches and returned to base.
ARA San Luis was very unlucky to have the fire computer of the submarine out of service just after leaving the port heading for the war zone.
And the German made torpedoes, SST-4, were not very reliable at all to say the least.
CC, you make a common misunderstanding. The truth is hidden in your statement:

"The British fleet primary role was antisubmarine for NATO against the URSS submarine fleet in the Atlantic."

The 209 was a first class SSC built by one of our NATO partners; it was not operated by the Russians. Like the Exocet, our forces were not equipped to counter allied equipments although we would encounter Mirage, A4, 209 etc when exercising with our allies but countering an exercise target simulating a Soviet threat is a world of difference from countering it was a live threat.