PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future battlefield reconnaissance helicopters
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 14:16
SunderlandMatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 . Sensor/Sight on the nose gives the operator the the best of both worlds i.e. can look up and down depending on TTP in that battlefield but pretty much requires the a/c to be spec built for it. Keeping the radar high allows a theoretical TTP of 'unmasking' only the radar and keeping the majority of the a/c in cover. I wouldn't fancy being in a low energy position anywhere with SA, LTT, MANPADs etc. Moving the sights down from the mast will give greater view of the ground close in as typically we operate with air supremacy and reduced ground threat.

2. Not sure the Mildcat will be much good at anything recce/attack wise IMHO. I certainly wouldn't want to take it as my wing over another attack platform especially when sausage side in the kind of places The Arab Spring woke up.

3. Will all recce not be done by air/space or MQ-8 variants or even by those little RC Helicopters in the future? Does manned rotary recce have a place any more unless it's a double hat recce/attack platform such as AH-64?