PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 12:30
brakedwell

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
A few memories from my time on 152 Sqn in 1959-61.

All RAF, TOS and IAL positions were unaccompanied. RAF tour was one year.

The TOS Officers Mess was an old building on the Sharjah seafront. The expat TOS Sergeants Mess was situated on the southeast edge of RAF Sharjah, together with the TOS and Army lines.

I remember a few British TOS officers had their wives to stay on one or two special occasions. As we were not allowed to carry them on our scheduled Pembroke flights they flew BOAC to Bahrain and then Gulf Aviation to Sharjah.

The RAF Station Commander was a Squadron Leader post. S/L Kingsley Brown, a navigator by trade, was the most unpopular incumbent in my time on 152. He didn't like women, but grudgingly allowed a visiting party of Combined Services Entertainers to stay in the officers mess. Three very attractive dancers were allocated rooms in a hut adjacent to the CO's quarters.The following morning his personal clothes line was filled by a row of knickers and bra's, which the girls must have washed before they went to bed.

CSE entertainers were accommodated in the sergeants mess during the remainder of his tour and we renamed him S/L Queensly Pink!

During 1960/1 a WVS lady lived in the RAF officers mess. She was great fun and is pictured in post no: 83