PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK April
Thread: EK April
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2012, 03:53
Cowtown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odericko

Dubai and EK is what you make it. If your so inclined you can go from f/o to training capt in a little over 5 years. I'm talking about the 777 here. I'm on the bus and will be looking at 7 years plus to a command, thats even with considerable smaller jet command time.

The diverse route structure means you can pretty much cover the globe in a single month. Again I'm talking 777.

Being driven to and from work is a bonus, especially after a tiring night India turn. In return the company get to fudge your duty start time. Not sure how they get away with it, but they do.

Accommodation is to a good standard. We are very happy with our villa.

Education is generally to a high standard.

On the whole it is a safe place to live. Dubai has it's share of problems, but as always you have to go looking for it. Being a father I still take all the usual precautions.

There's lots for the kids to do, all be it at a price! My wife is now an expert at getting the kids from A to B and then on to C!

You learn fairly quickly to take nothing for granted and sadly to trust no one. Being able to pick up the phone and ring your base captain up for a favour just doesn't exist here.

Would I do it again knowing what I now know. Probably, we never learn.

Good luck in your choice.