PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 21:01
Danny42C

Bunch of quick replies.

Kookabat (#2433)

Hope this will be useful, Adam, but beware - things changed awfully fast, and six months was a long time in 42/43.

TommyOV (#2435)

Deflection training on a Link Trainer ! The mind boggles, Tommy. On an arthritic tortoise as target, possibly. Yes, we were taught continuous scan. It just so happened that, as the Me was fixed on the wall and our scrap fuselage didn't move, you could keep an eye on it in the mirror and didn't have to screw your neck round. No luck with the Edmund's Trainer so far. There was a "Silloth" trainer, never saw one, think it was a "customised" Link for a particular type of aircraft. Don't really know.

Petet (#2436)

An interesting link to the Link! Never realised it went back so far, or spread so wide. Bit puzzled about the USAAC, supposed to have been used in all their schools, can't remember any until Advanced, then did 10 hours on it.

(Two late comers, pushing the replies in as an EDIT).

Chugalug (#2437),

Ah, those baronial dining rooms with a minstrel's gallery! But they were not for the likes of us in 42 ! (Got there in the end).

When did I get to know that I'd be trained as a fighter pilot? When they sent me to OTU ! (and much good did it do me) How did they select people ? With a pin, I think. I heard that many fighter OTU trained people were later retrained on twos and fours to plug the gaps in Bomber Command, but not sure.

Fareastdriver (#2438),

1945's good enough for me on Castle Combe - don't think it had been going long when we got there in 42.

Thank you all. Another slice coming along,

Danny

Last edited by Danny42C; 21st Mar 2012 at 21:29.