PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EE Canberra book contributor request
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 20:01
options770

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest had we had warning of electrical activity we wouldn't have streamed in cloud. There was no apparent damage from either strike apart from the small entry hole but we did the compass swing as a precaution. Kinloss did not have a suitable compass for the swing so we had to go to Lossiemouth to borrow one from 8 Sqn.

This involved a drive in the deployment vehicle (a Bedford CF) which had just been condemned as unroadworthy by the MT section and given back to us because there was no alternative. The instructions from the MTO were that we were authorised to use it, but if we got back without incident the paperwork was to be destroyed and the journey had never happened!

The trip up there was fine, we had a few beers with the Shackleton mates, went to the local chippy and drove back with several pints of beer in the back. Needless to say that because it was my fault I had to drive while the others did the drinking. The dip headlights failed on the way back and we drove on sidelights or full beam as appropriate. Beer got spilled in the back and there was a stink of fish and chips. When we reboarded it in the morning to go flying it was awful but the groundcrew (civilians from Airworks) cleaned it while we were flying and we were very grateful.

The compass swing was uneventful and none of the other instruments seemed to have suffered from the lightning, I suppose that is the advantage of mechanical aircraft rather than these modern electrical/computer beasts.