PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 13:09
Zippy Monster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was on one of the first CPs into Clearways. To be fair, despite the fact we didn't have it quite the same as BMRR's era (£5000 from the airline?!!), we still had it pretty good overall. There were a few design faults with Clearways and evidence of certain bits being done on the cheap, but generally it was a nice place to be and many of the problems there were caused by the cadets themselves thinking they were 18 and in first-year university halls again, and treating the place like a dump. I remember visiting the place during my second stint in NZ, and it was totally different to the brand new, spotlessly clean facility I moved into when it was first built - and it was still less than a year old. Some people just didn't know how to behave.

That said, ever since the place was built the internet connection was a joke. I can't remember what the bandwidth limit was, but I do remember that the package they had at the time was nowhere near suitable for 96 rooms (as it was then) and they were paying a ridiculous sum for excess downloading, which caused no end of stroppy e-mails and threats to cut people off. In fact, at one point they disconnected everyone from everything except e-mail and 'Tracker', and then wondered why the flying schedule ground to a halt every morning because nobody could do their planning the night before! Even before then, most people were left with no internet from mid-afternoon onwards because the router was put in a small cupboard with no air-conditioning and kept automatically shutting down, and not rebooting until about 1am the next day. I think it did improve after we left, but not massively so going on what One9iner says!

Clamping their own cadets' cars in their own car park at their own residence is a new one though - that is hilarious. And not altogether surprising.