PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The lost art of precision flying among airline pilots.
Old 21st Mar 2012, 11:18
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well what do you know?

I remember that article, but didn't recall it's original publication in Flying. I've searched and found my original copy in the attic!

Delighted to see it reprinted on PPRUNE, although I fear a lot of what it talks about will not make sense to many of today's generation of Pilots.

The best piece of writing about Flying ever written (IMHO!) is in Gann's "Island in the sky" His explanation of Dooley's thought processes, the impact of the weather, Carb icing, Mixture control, Airframe icing, the frontal system, the radio navigation problem, etc., etc., is incredible. If you have any idea what he is writing about, you will have goose bumps as you read it; much like Svoboda's article.

Articles like that helped young pilots form an understanding of what it meant to be a professional.

Lastly, hey Stepwilk; you did some darned good work. I LOVED Flying, it was a monthly treat. Morgan, Baxter, Thomas Block, yourself and Peter garrison. Fantastic! I still have many of them, though only as a result of regular territorial skirmishes with the rest of my family who think they could do with a trip to the tip!

BSD.