PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light RW and FW low flying - Why?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 10:27
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralph has a point, my location is on the rump of Pendle hill in Lancashire, about 4 mins flying time for a FJ from Warton , many people fly around my location Planks as well as Helis, and are more often than not below 500 ft from me looking up at them, my static ground level is 620ft nominal above sea level, so if GA flyers are staying with sea level point of entry/take off then they, the alleged low flyers will be at around an indicated height of 8/9/1000 ft, possible their attention to rising ground is not accounted for, and their attention to height detail is is also lost.

By the same token for Ralph to understand is one of my past flights was in the Settle/Malham area of North Yorkshire, where I was on a long let down to land at a pals hill farm about 4 nm from Malham cove, I would have been at about 500ft above actual ground level when I was disected by two Tornados one low , one high with their wings back getting on a bit, the low A/c being in German AF markings the top man was in Brit markings, apart from staying where I was as soon as I saw this hapening, and getting a wave from the back seat German, I then carried on to land after they departed(very rapidly),.. what would Ralph say to that, was that me in the wrong or just one of those things that could have gone wrong.
I once attended a safety evening at Southport with the CAA, the RAF were also there, the RAF reps assured us GA flyers that they always saw us and knew where we were in the air, after my experience I think that speech was for public consumption ..not an actual thing that happens!!

Remembering the surveying B206 at Lancaster/Kirkby Lonsdale about 9years ago

My regards

Peter R-B
Lancashire
Edited for spelling..

Last edited by Peter-RB; 21st Mar 2012 at 10:41.