PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 08:01
spectre150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve, the period I am talking about (early 1980s) was towards the end of the Canberra's long career. With the demise of 13 Sqn in the recce role around that time that just left one operational mark in the RAF - the PR9 flown by 39 Sqn. 100 Sqn was a targets facilities unit and having no operational role did not require operational role equipment such as RWRs. We did hope that something would be fitted if we ever had to carry out our war role of LOPRO (I think this was covered elsewhere in this thread) although it was generally accepted that without the performance and manoeuverabilty to evade Soviet maritime defenc,s the RWRs of the day would not have provided much more than an warning of imminent disaster!

I have no idea what an Orange Putter is. The B(I)8 was long out of RAF Service by the time I joined the Force (my father was a B(I)8 nav in Germany when I was born). Later marks were not necessarily more 'operational' in the sense that they had more modern equipment (your comment suggests this might be your thinking). The TT18, for example was a re-worked B2 fitted for the Rushton target towing role. The E15 (a modified B15 variant) had the bigger Avon engines whereas the TT18 had the smaller donks fitted to the B2/T4 family. On 100 Sqn in my time we operated a mixed fleet of B2, T4, PR7, E15 and TT18s - the monthly log book summary was always a bit of a chore!