PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 07:52
options770

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAP

One function we had on 7 Sqn which was a lot of fun was providing training for Forward Air Controllers at Templeton Airfield in South Wales. This involved flying what was known as the Templeton GAP (Ground Attack Profile) which was a cloverleaf pattern of airfield attacks usually flown as a battle pair.

As I remember the four legs were: From the North at 250ft 360 knots low level straight in lay down bombing followed by a pull up to 4000ft and a tear drop turn to run in from the West for a dive bomb run bottoming out at 250ft for a low level run out to the east, a low level turn in on an offset to pull up for a tip in dive attack which was repeated with a run from the south.
At this point, the no 2 aircraft would take the lead and we would go round again.
Great fun and usually flown on Thursday and Friday when the Navy didn't need us at Plymouth.
These manoeuvres formed the basis for the attack profiles used during the St Mawgan Air Shows.

Had a look in the log book I have with me and note that we also did a similar profile on the Larkhill ranges.

Last edited by options770; 21st Mar 2012 at 19:29. Reason: More information