PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queensland Flood report helicopter operation reccomendations
Old 21st Mar 2012, 04:21
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess C.P. were a bit distressed at the time so it is understandable that he is looking for some way to ensure it dont happen again...

"...I had five workers on top of one of our buildings; 18 hours they waited for a pick-up and it still didn't come. We sent our helicopter into the Lockyer, got those people out and we rescued another 30 people in the Lockyer Valley...

...meanwhile there were 40 helicopters on the ground in Brisbane, 20 at the Gold Coast and 10 at the north coast..."

Lateline - 02/02/2012: Clive Palmer talks to Lateline

After reading the comments it seems using private helicopters and untrained pilots wont work in the way C.P. is suggesting. Probably best left to private owner/pilots to take their own initiative as it is now.

Certainly some fairly simple 'spotter' jobs available for private heli's - I'm told after the Brisbane valley floods one of the local police stations were asking local private Heli operators if they could go and have a look-see at some residences they had been unable to get to. Apparently the rescue heli's were all fully occupied at the time.