PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 04:02
nazca_steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents, I am staggered, but very happy at this flurry of activity. Usually there are only one or two replies, but this bevvy of stories has had me grinning all evening here.

Lots to work through here, but a few things spring out and some PMs maybe coming your collective ways as a result. Everyone else, perhaps too many priceless gems in there to call individually, but cheers all for sharing them. A few others though I have to mention:

Halton Brat:

The story you referred to in Air Clues sounds suspiciously like the one the late Les Bywaters of 3 Sqn told me about Flt. Lt. Ron Ledwidge (if I recall his surname correctly). The incident he related was that Ron's B(I).8 indeed had a stuck aileron and matches yours perfectly, down to the nav bailing out after timing the orientation just right. Not easy I would imagine from the prone position in the Can nose cone.

Beagle:

You wrote: "the first target was a Canberra PR9 (some trials thing with an odd-looking nose)." My suspicion is this was almost certainly XH132, the Shorts modified SC.9. This was the only Cran PR.9 with a nose job. Went through several paint schemes over the years - do you happen to remember what it wore for this incident? Pretty cool that it gave a good account of itself. Did the TT.18 actually put up a fight despite being easier? Being from East Anglia (next door to Wyton), hearing about doing QRA intercepts on these Cans is of interest to me. Can you describe how you typically approached them and what action they typically took if they saw you?

Dalek:
You say you were on 85 Sqn in the early 70s- did you ever fly the T.11 or 19 during that period?

ExMudmover:

Are you referring to the runs performed at Goose Green? If so I am assuming you were on GR.3s - again, if so, did you know Jeff Glover by chance?

BBadanov:

Sorry, yes, I grew up reading too many war comics and even in my mind as 32 year old I imagine that banner towing was adventerous! As you are all rapidly pointing out to me it seems it was a little more sedate than that.