PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2012, 02:12
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's not let a decent 15 pager go down the pan because of what you do or don't think about one chap and what he has to say these days. This thread has been great.

Sharkey's book relates a story of hearing 800 NAS pilots chatting on CAP I seem to recall. He himself transmits on strike primary (or whatever it was called those days) for absolutely no reason, Sheffield was transmitting on SatCom I think which stopped her seeing the 'Handbrake' (as we called it) from the Super-E. And back to an earlier point, no attempt seems to have been made until BB with Shrike, to take down Argentinian radars.

This all seems incredibly slack to me - did we just not appreciate EW / ESM etc or have times just changed?

Sharkey also mentions that we knew the Argentine strike frequencies...did we exploit this at all? (801 pilots transmitting in pigeon-Spanish deosn't really count!)

My copy of Vulcan 607 is a couple of thousand miles away - did they do it all comm out, or was the position of the last bracket sufficiently distant from the FI to allow U/VHF use?