PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new recruiting grounds for CX
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 23:33
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Prospective Cathay Pacific pilots' English lesson for the day:

'Wind-up' (pronounced 'wynde up', and note the hyphen), in the context of my previous posts: to stir, to cause trouble, to act as an internet 'troll'. A 'wind-up merchant', a colloquial term, is one who does this, often to achieve an agenda, such as recruiters and management 'moles' on a 'wannabe' thread. 'Wind up' (no hyphen) means to close or finish, as this dreadful 'iCadet' scheme should be.

'Getting the wind up' ('wind' pronounced with a short 'i') is a slightly vulgar term for being afraid, as I will if the system allows some of these applicants to operate wide-bodied airliners without rigorous standards of English, technical and flying ability, and interpersonal skills being maintained.

'Fresher': an excruciating term used mainly by aspiring pilots from the sub-continent, often in conjunction with 'gen y text speak'. In Western countries this term is normally used in the context of adolescents just out of college or high school, who are entering their first year of university.

I won't explain the terms undercut, 'Parker pen' hours, Hong Kong Accommodation, Forgiveable Loan, English language standard, competence and experience.

That will be your homework for today .

Last edited by Captain Dart; 21st Mar 2012 at 00:10.