PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 22:49
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This gets asked regularly. Most gliding clubs demand gliding experience, so that you have some idea what is happening at the other end of the rope. You normally have to be a member of the club as well, for insurance reasons if nothing else. Also many, perhaps most, tugs are tail draggers.

I've been tugged behind a non-gliding tug pilot when I belonged to a small group of experienced glider pilots, and it was quite interesting to start with. Some of the places he put us were less than ideal - OK for an experienced bunch, but potentially risky for inexperienced glider pilots. As the tug pilot gained experience he became very good, from the glider flier's perspective, but few clubs could have afforded to take the risk of using him before then because he would have needed to tug trainees and inexperienced pilots.

The general wisdom is that if you don't have some solo gliding experience, clubs won't be interested. There is usually a fair body of suitably qualified PPLs who would like to fly with the gliding club picking up the bills (though it's tough work tugging on a good soaring day, so I reckon the tuggie earns his or her "free" flying).

Also be aware of the increased risks. If I'm on the other end of the rope and lose concentration, I have quite a few ways to kill you while surviving myself!

Having said all that, you seem to be close to Lasham, the biggest gliding club in the country. They might have a need for more tug pilots, and are certainly big enough to limit your tugging to experienced pilots while you learn the trade. A visit might be sensible - if abortive, at least you could talk flying and enjoy a bacon sandwich.