PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hornets And AMRAAM
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2002, 20:45
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Booger,

You appear to base your opinion of Typhoon and F-15E on ignorant, uninformed anti-Brit prejudice. You sneer at brochure figures without having bothered to assess their accuracy or veracity.

I base mine on independent, non-industry simulations of both aircraft being flown against a developed Flanker using JOUST. And on having spoken in depth to people who've flown both, and who've evaluated both professionally (and not just from GmbH partner nations). And while I have no professional experience of flying a military fast jet, I have been lucky enough to have been given a 'grandstand view' of operational flying, and to have had patient friends who've taught me what questions to ask, and what the answers may mean.

I'm struggling to be civil to someone who may be an F-111 pilot or nav, as he pretends, but who seems to have none of the social graces, intelligence or manners that I'd have expected from any commissioned officer in the RAAF.

You, on the other hand, make silly remarks about 'navel lint' and anoraks. With your breathless enthusiasm for the 'Mud Hen' and 'Beagle' you sound more like a spotter than I do, old chap, while your lack of open-mindedness and tight grip on silly and out-of-date generalisations about EF (no better than F-16) is in danger of marking you out as being a 'bear of very little brain'.

Gnadenberg,

Gripen International have given me the odd tie, drink and dinner, but their hospitality and generosity has never been as generous as that offered by Lockheed. Eurofighter GmbH cannot compete with Lockheed either, though they do a nice line in laptop bags! Cash (unfortunately) never changes hands.

Were Australia acquiring F-22s or an aircraft with F-111 range, the Gripen's relatively modest radius would be a valid criticism. But JSF's range is similarly (not equally) inadequate. Forward based Gripen with conformals and tankers would do the job cheaply and well, though EF would be better.