PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 09:23
BEagle

Received 318 Likes on 115 Posts
dalek, having checked my logbook, it seems that it wasn't 52%, it was only 50.1% in XV399 on 16 Aug 1982. The runaway gun was on my second sortie that day, but in XV437. I did have a celebratory pint of G&T afterwards though, as the 50.1% shoot had completed my 'ACE' qualification. That's ACE as in Allied Commander Europe or somesuch, not 'ace'!

The 52% was actually later in the year on 17 December during a strafe sortie - again in XV399. Something which had been added to our repertoire due to OP CORPORATE. Great trip with the late Griggles in the back - off at high speed to the range as time was tight, a quick dry pass then several hot passes. From the range we flew down to the corner of East Anglia to act as a Tac Check bounce - which worked superbly as we caught the pilot being checked in the middle of a frequency change from Eastern Radar to Neatishead (which was what I'd expected). He couldn't call the threat to the rest of the formation as they were all faffing about looking up the fighter stud frequency and was exercise shot down with an AIM-9 as a result. Then back to Wattisham to land after the best 65 minutes of flying I ever had in the F-4! Particularly as I'd managed to 'shoot down' my Flt Cdr on his Tac Check - which Griggles thoroughly enjoyed!

The north coast of East Anglia was always a good hunting ground to pounce on unsuspecting Canberras. Obtain an easy kill and film it for Taceval, then have fun. Although the time I was on QRA and had a practice scramble on 9 Mar 1983 was less easy - the first target was a Canberra PR9 (some trials thing with an odd-looking nose). A PR9 flying tight turns is not an easy target for a Q-fit F-4, particularly when heavy! The task was to intercept, identify and report, then shadow. However, as the PR9 wouldn't co-operate, the task changed to 'exercise engage'..... The second target, a TT18, was a little easier though.

EX PROFIT could be interesting at night if the target was mis-id'd. Many an unsuspecting airliner became the focus of attention, particularly the 'Norwich Flyer' - AirUK's F-27 service to Norwich Airport. Ironically, once after a Leuchars JMC when my nav and I had to fly back from Edinburgh to Norwich via Leeds Bradford in the AirUK F-27, we couldn't get in to Leeds Bradford on the way due to low cloud, so had to divert to East Midlands to let out the LBA passengers. Whilst waiting for the aircraft to start up again, we noticed that the stewardesses looked rather happy, so asked why. "We'll be back after (2300?) now, so we'll get a minimum overtime payment", one of them told us. "Oh good - so that'll be 2 large gin and tonics, please", we replied. Which, all credit to her, she brought us. But we were off the normal timetable by the time we'd wandered southwards in the mighty Fokker - and found ourselves being intercepted by a pair of F-4s from our own squadron who were on a night EX PROFIT trip! We told our friendly stewardess that it was our 'welcome home' reception!

Last edited by BEagle; 20th Mar 2012 at 09:36.