PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 08:34
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Surely there must be some ex-100 Sqn mates who can describe the saga of the Machrihanish escape tunnel?

Another of those typical aircrew japes of the 1980s - until the farmer's tractor tipped over.

EX PROFIT against 360's EW jets was sometimes amusing. Comms jamming could be entertaining; noise itself wasn't much fun, but someone once broadcast German 'oompah' music. When they stopped and a singularly usless GCI controller came back on the air, another F-4 piped up with "Can we have the music back, please?". One of the more effective was the rebroadcast of another PI flown earlier. But the best was when some AEO in the Canberra read out either 'Quest' or the raunchy readers' letters printed in Mayfair... Everyone stopped what they were doing and listened in!

However, too much Canberra RT transmitting once allowed me to DF a pair of Canberras whilst bumbling around an AAR towline in the mighty Vicekrs FunBus. Watching the rate of bearing movement, it was obvious that they were close, so we turned and attempted to triangulate them from the other end of the towline. We spotted them, gave chase and fired off a yellow flare, claiming a 'Fox 4' and requesting 'kill removal'.

With experience, it was obvious when the RT spoofing was coming from a Canberra; anyone who'd ever flown a Hunter could recognise the sound of an Avon engine's generators.

Shooting at the flag towed by Tatty Ton's jets during Akronelli APCs was the sport of kings though. My best score was 52% with 'lucky' red tipped bullets. But on another occasion I had a runaway gun and my entire ammo load went in one pass until the blank spacer round stopped it. The pilot of the other F-4 said that the shimmer of brass ejected by my SUU 23 was very impressive. You were supposed to reach down and turn off the Centre Station Selector if you had a runaway gun; however, by the time you realised what was happening, pointed in a safe direction and reached for the selector, the gun would invariably have fired out.

There are plenty of Akrotiri stories out there; few are printable! Such as 'Skipper' and the 'Whale'??

Fun times and good banter back then.