PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light RW and FW low flying - Why?
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 07:34
ralphmalph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light RW and FW low flying - Why?

I have thought about this for some time, but the sight of a few aircraft blatantly transiting below 500' made me think about it again.

Why do people insist on getting as low as they can when transit flying, the 500' rule is there for a reason (unless taking off, landing or conducting exempted aerial work - I know I would not be aware of this activity, or is it NOTAM'ed?) why just choose to chin it off?

I am a military pilot, when we low fly we transit at 80-120' AGL and 50' MSC, it can be hard work. When we don't, you get above 500' and stay there. Ideally well above if weather is no factor, space under the aircraft is always beneficial!

Between 150-500' AGL is fast jet country, and the grey area where you don't really have much time to deal with a serious incident. When low flying @ 100'AGL, accept that you would be in the **** and plan, act, fly accordingly.

Why would you want to fanny around @ 350' ?

Much less fly down the Ladybower reservoir in a 206 below the line of the valley (seen that once). Nowhere to go, unless you have a bit of luck, wind and consummate skill on board!

We operate near a local scenic site, next to a busy clutch of FJ bases, near and around the site, FJ aircraft transit at low level. On a sunny day, it is not unusual to find RW and FW aircraft easily below 500' around the site, probably heads in and goofing!

Accident waiting to happen, and increasingly common these days.

Why? poor education, inaccurate instruments (most of the examples I am talking about are WELL below 500') or flagrant rule breaking.

Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Ralph