PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 06:40
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Steve

"Generic question to all: BBadanov mentioned r/t contact with the Mirages in his post; was this a common procedure in towing and what were typical radio exchanges if so? Were corrections to flight path ever called out from the shooter or was it all down you to and what pattern you were supposed to fly? In air-to-air towing did you try to make things difficult for the shooter?

BBadanov also mentioned a 'blue' hit on the fin - did anyone else ever get more than they bargained for or was this pretty rare?"

R/T was pretty standard RSO type banter. That is, the Canberra was the RSO for the Range (it was over water, a designated danger area, but fishing boats would wander in!).

You would find a clear area and start a left hand orbit. Fighters would come on freq: "Dildo check", "2", "3", "4". "Loud and clear. Tug, Dildo on freq, 4 aircraft for live." "Dildo, Tug at BUT 270, 45 miles, 10,000ft." "Roger"

"Tug, have you visual, in dry" "Dildo, clear dry." They would set up their pattern from the perch, to get 4 aircraft in a pattern of equal spacing". Only took one rotation, then in live. Each would have to be "cleared live", and each would call "off safe".

When fueled out or fired out, all needed to check "switches safe" and RTB.

That was about it, exciting huh?

Try to make things difficult for the shooter? You gotta be sh*tting me, right? No, steady 30 degree level banked turn. We are talking real bullets here.

No hits on any aircraft to my knowledge, was only joking about that. Heard the supersonic rounds go by very occassionally, I guess the shooter didn't have enough angle off. I seem to remember the cable length was 1300 ft.

Re Vietnam - I have written plenty about it - will PM you with a few references, can't be bothered frankly regurgitating it all again.