PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 06:26
crewmeal

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good point raised Nigel. My view on this is how much the Chinese will promote the new MG at Longbridge. So far nothing much has happened. The odd press call on a bog standard car is all I've seen so far. If they are a serious contender in the car market, then they have a long way to go. If they are successful then you would probably see direct flights to and from China, freighters or passenger jets.

The way US carriers are going I don't see anything happening at all. AA are downsizing and are in Chapter 11. United and Continental have merged and it seems BHX is hanging on to the EWR route by the skin of its teeth. That only leaves Asian and Middle East carriers. Air India have proved they're not interested and have their own financial problems. Kingfisher have all most gone to the wall. PIA are holding their own, but for how long? with the threat of being banned from European skies who knows what's next for them. That only leaves EK dominating the market. At best I think we could see a daily A380 back and forth to DXB. That may even come before the extension is complete. Then again if QR came on the scene then the chances of an A380 would diminish.

With the latest reports coming from the LH camp regarding the sale of BMI, that in itself is not good news. Slots up for grabs if the sale falls through because of our 'friends' in Brussels? Middle East carriers bidding for them? Even if the sale goes through I can't see BHX gaining anything. In my view the only way BHX would gain is if the govt of the day said that's it to any further expansion to LHR and ordered new carriers to use regional airports.