PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust reduction altitude
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2012, 22:13
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
This is one of those rubbery things, I fear.

Takeoff per AFM is based on OEI.

Routine takeoff is based on AEO.

During a routine takeoff,

(a) especially on twins

(b) providing that the AEO procedure adopted is conservative with respect to the OEI

(c) providing that tracking is the same as for the OEI procedure

(d) presuming that thrust remains at TO until the final climb speed and configuration is achieved

the aircraft gross flight path will be above the OEI calculated net flight path by a considerable margin. The end result is that a modest difference between AEO and OEI acceleration is not going to compromise the OEI situation.

Your ops eng cell should have appropriate words in the RTOW chart procedure to cover the situation for a specific runway departure.

I am not aware of any regulatory words which address this situation.

but for a second you were in the second segment without take off thrust

Probably not a major consideration as you should be well above the NFP and at a higher speed. In such circumstances, one can always select back to TO thrust should that be deemed necessary by the Commander.

which satisifies the 2nd segment requirement ( 2.4% gradient gross , obstacle clearance etc..) assumes Take off thrust until you reach 1000

.. and includes OEI, not AEO.

My thoughts are

(a) if AEO tracking differs from OEI escape, then all bets are off unless the ops eng cell has done the sums for a post-V1 failure

(b) if you are concerned, then use Commander's prerogative to delay thrust reduction until the higher level.

(c) go knock loudly on the the ops eng cell's door and ask the question of the folk who should have the answer.