PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2012, 21:40
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Mainjafad, I passed through Locking in '85 whereabouts was the system? - I recall our '3D' being up near the hangars, but not the former Argentinian unit.

Back on thread. Good program that would have been accessible to everyone at it's narration level. - It really was daring.
Wonder how we worked things better for subsequent raids?
Might have been a bit later say around 1987/88 and it was up in what became the TMT Compound by the JRM (though by the time I did TMT in 89 (delayed because of my first Tour on the Falklands) it had gone and there was a TAC AR-1 in its place. But I definitely saw this at Locking in the mid to late 1980s

As regards the later Black Bucks, they rejigged the fuel transfer plan with the knowledge of what the fuel burn of the Vulcan actually was, and were able to shift a lot more fuel down south. Even then, strong headwinds on one mission and a Hose Drum Failure on one of the Victors on another resulted in the mission being aborted. The Anti Radar Black Bucks were flown with bomb bay fuel tanks fitted to the Vulcan and the Shrike ARM's fitted to the plyons under the wings. The first succesful mission carried 2 Shrikes tuned to home on the Westinghouse AN/TPS-43F and both were fired with one missile missing the Radar's scanner by only 10 meters, though the warhead fragments did damage some waveguide which put the radar out of commission until spares could be flown out from Argentina. The second successful mission carried 4 missiles, 2 tuned to go for the 43F and the other 2 set up to go for Skyguard. When the Vulcan got down there, the 43F crew guessed what was happening and refused to transmit long enough for the Vulcan crew to lock the missiles on. However the Vulcan crew did manage to gload a Skyguard into locking on to them and it ate a Shrike for its trouble, killing 4 of the radar's crew. The Vulcan now, getting low on fuel then headed up to its tanker RV point, where the refuelling probe broke and the Vuclan had to make an emergency diversion to Brazil (just to make life really interesting the only way they could dump the two remaining Shrikes on the wings were by firing them, and one misfired!).

As regards why Shrike was used instead of the AR Martel, I was at Newton in 1986 at the Missile Training Flight there when the last Martel course was going through and I asked some of the guys on the course why didn't the Vulcan use Martel. Answer I got was the carriage life of a live missile wasn't long enough to get the weapon from ASI to the Falklands with a 100% chance of it actually working when it was fired and if it wasn't fired, by the time the aircraft had got back to ASI the missile would have to be removed and shipped back to Marham to be serviced.