PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monopods and cabin bags?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2012, 21:06
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monopods and cabin bags?

Can anyone advise on taking a monopod as part of cabin baggage? It is just too big to fit inside my usual cabin bag which is a Lowepro photo trekker designed for carrying a good sized SLR and a laptop. As the technology has moved on, I've ditched the SLR for an Olympus super zoom compact and the laptop for a mobile and a proper hardback notebook.

Ideally, I'd rather still have the monopod with me - modern cameras have excellent stabilisation functions, but the monopod is great for anything which may have some motion blur. I wouldn't call myself a regular spotter, but who can resist when passing through SXM + should also be some good opportunities at AMS + CDG.

I will also be taking pictures of a triathlon - my 78 year old dad doesn't move too fast in the running section, but the pro cyclists are a different entity altogether! No shortage of light in SXM or NEV but I'd still rather have the pod.

Also not sure if I'll be checked through via SXM - NEV won't be a problem.

Tbh, if I wanted to do some damage on a plane, a heavy monopod would be quite a good weapon, but I've not seen them on a banned list. I'm more concerned that it would take the bag outside dimensions - and I haven't yet got round to buying one of those jackets where you can just "wear" your camera, laptop etc!

Airlines are WW BHX-AMS, AF CDG-SXM, Winair SXM-NEV, BE CDG-BHX