PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS buys TNT!
Thread: UPS buys TNT!
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2012, 09:17
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of being shot down for sticking my nose in:

I don't get paid to fly, I do it because I enjoy it. I fund my flying by running a business. I need to make choices about the business, and the choices I make determine whether or not I can pay my mortgage, eat, provide for my family and fly.

TNT is not a victim here, nor are the employees. This is the way it is in business. Why on earth should UPS "look after " the TNT people at the expense of UPS staff?

Can you all honestly say that if you worked for UPS you would rather see the company go under when someone else buys it rather than see the TNT operation get swallowed and provide you with work?

This is the business food chain. Eat or get eaten.

As in all business mergers / takeovers. An often overlooked point is that the company have a greater responsibility to those who are staying than to those who are going. I doubt it will all be one way, with TNT guys and girls being dumped. This is a great opportunity for UPS to trim dead wood and cherry pick the brightest of the TNT staff. Sadly, for some, it is also an opportunity to just flush out the experienced, higher paid and valuable, but costly, senior staff.

That's just the way it is.

If you prevent it happening by industrial action and causing grief, then standby for DHL or FedEx eating both of you when the customers jump ship.