PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair runway excursion
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2002, 11:52
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle are you a pilot or SLF?

If you were a pilot (I suspect not) you'd know that flight STDs are usually works of fiction created by marketing bods in an office somewhere. In the real world of aviation nothing runs on time all the time.

While FR do a great job of shaving time off turnarounds (congratulations) the requirement is that the 'saved' time is used for an extra rotation. Thus when things go unavoidably off the rails (e.g. ATC delays or WX) the operation starts to go badly awry very quickly. There is no 'fat' in the system to compensate for delay.

The result is that crews are put under enormous pressure to keep the show on the road by whatever means possible. You can pretend to yourself that this isn't the fact, or that FR don't taxi faster than anyone else, but I have friends in FR who say they feel pressured into rushing around more than they are comfortable with. It's that kind of operation, like it or not.

Your crack at me is silly because I already told you a good friend of mine lost his job through a fast taxiing incident. Who's in denial here?

The point I'm making is...I'm gonna be damned sure it will never happen to me because of high speed taxiing.

Brake failure is one thing.

Rushing is another.