PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2012, 21:44
HazelNuts39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
It could be FL300 or FL200 or even FL100
Once the airplane was deeply into the stall, I think a distinction has to be be made between whether the airplane was physically able to recover, and what psychologically the pilots could reasonably be expected to accomplish.

As I gather with my scanty understanding of the French language, AB Chief Test Pilot J. Rosay states in the video (post #863) that the airplane's physical capabilities at extreme AoA have not been determined in flight test and thus will remain somewhat speculative.

Apart from the question whether the simulator reflects the real airplane, the psychological aspect is amply illustrated in "post #66" of the other thread:
Originally Posted by NEDude
Recovery at high altitudes require significant nose low pitch, to be held for a very uncomfortably long time, and you have to accept a VERY high rate of descent (15,000fpm or higher).
For example, around 02:13:20 the airplane descended through FL120 with pitch attitude +10° and FPA -40°, i.e. AoA= +50° (assuming still air). To unstall and stop the stall warning, the airplane would need to be pitched down until the AoA was less than approximately 10°. Even if the airplane would respond to forward sidestick by pitching down, the lift and drag forces and hence FPA and airspeed would not change significantly until the airplane was unstalled, i.o.w. the airplane would have to pitch down to an attitude of -40 +10 = -30° to stop the stall warning. That attitude would then have to be maintained for some time until the airspeed had increased enough to permit a pull-up from the dive.

Last edited by HazelNuts39; 21st Mar 2012 at 13:29. Reason: Error in SW AoA corrected