PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How tall must you be to become a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2012, 20:06
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lady who posts occasionally on here as Whirlybird, worked for quite a few years (she may still do, we don't talk as much as we did but I *think* she just does aviation journalism now) as a helicopter instructor. Whirly is 4ft 11in. She is something of an expert on the subject of booster cushions, but it has never stopped her flying.
Hello, Genghis, my old friend, good to see you here. You're right that I'm working almost exclusively now as an aviation writer (I prefer that term to aviation journalist, if you don't mind, and books and websites don't count as journalism), but how did you get the idea I'm only 4ft 11ins? I'm speaking from way up in the stratosphere at a lofty 5ft 2ins.

However, as you pointed out, I do have a large collection of booster cushions. As a helicopter instructor, my best one was specially made for the R22, and the factory wouldn't have made them if it was uneconomic, ie a lot of pilots must need them. Ditto for dynofoam cushions, one of which I still have, I think. An American company also makes a nice collection of cushions with and without backs too, and in different thicknessess.

The point I'm making is, a lot of us are of normal height, ie not overgrown giants. I've never worked for the airlines, but I've never heard of them having a height requirment; why would they? Oh, and I knew a North Sea helicopter pilot who really was 4ft 11ins - she lent me an immersion suit made for her when I went up there, and it was too short!

So SPF50, please stop worrying.