PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Falklands' Most Daring Raid'
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2012, 19:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reydelcastillo
Thank You Marcantiland , very clear the path of BB1 , I would like to add this :
As Triple AAA realized that British Planes several times flew just above the reach of the 35 mm skyguard , they started using the exercise amunition which does not detonate , but does reach far above the range of war amunition .- This was intensively used in particular by the Skyguard sections at the Airport .- They state having hit some Harrier , that could very well be correct since some pictures have shown Harriers landing at the Carriers with just a hole in the fuselage .-
They put an excercise amunition every 3 or 4 war amunition .-
You would need to qualify your statement. Which Harriers?

In Price and Ethell's work it was indeed noticed that some Harriers returned damaged and others didn't. It was the GR3 that were damaged whereas the SHAR was not. It was put down not to the use of kinetic rounds but that the GR3s flew very low and well within AAA range whereas the SHAR flew at greater altitudes.

I am not saying that you didn't hit a SHAR but that your conclusion is not certain.