PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The BA Union Thread I
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2012, 18:21
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooh, where to start on this one!
Why would they not want to join BASSA
Are you serious? After all that was said about and done to us can you really be surprised that we would rather be without a union than join the ranks of BASSA. And, judging by all that was said, they wouldn't want us either!
given their stance in the dispute, why would they even feel the need to be a member of ANY Trade Union?
I was a member of a trade union before this all started and was very happy with the representation I received from CC89. Their approach to IR negotiation was largely in-line with my own and I personally was very sad when it became obvious that that was no longer the case.
yet fail to seize the upcoming opportunity to be elected as a BASSA Rep
If I am not mistaken, first you have to be a BASSA member for over a year before you can even consider becoming a rep then you have to serve a period of time before you can stand for election to the leadership! So how could any crew who resigned from the union during the dispute get elected in order to bring about any change? The only ones who can do that are the members within, arguably the ones who are already reps and I am not sure there are many of those who would publicly admit that they disagree with the way the whole debacle played out.
why bother with all that messy democracy when you can start a new Union?
Why indeed? Perhaps because it is the only way to bring about balanced crew representation without personalities being involved! To be able to trust that your reps will consider they have a duty to negotiate which is more important than refusing to sit at a table if there is someone they don't like at it. That the needs of all the community will be considered rather than one particular group and that all proposed settlements will be impact assessed and financially costed before being democratically voted on by ALL the members. In short, that you will receive the best representation that your money can buy you!

And finally
May i add that this is not a Unite/BASSA bashing exercise. We are currently aimed at those presently without union representation of which there are many who have express an interest in having a choice.
There is clearly a gap in the market and a fair bit of interest in the wider community. I wish you the best of luck as it won't be an easy journey. Very rewarding though if you succeed!